1. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom Pilot

Battery Trickle Charger

Hello all,

Our fleet of Phenom 100EV aircraft has been experiencing low battery voltage issues. Without getting into too many details involving the degradation of lead acid batteries etc, the problem seems to be gradually getting worse with lower and lower voltage on the batteries each time. Leading to engine starting issues.

The knowledge we have gained from Embraer (what little they could provide), was that the batteries do not / will not gain a sufficient charge if the flight lasts less than approximately 50 minutes. I have not seen that number in any pilot manuals or maintenance manuals so it is up in the air as to whether that is true or where it came from.

Once your battery has depleted there really is no way of getting the full efficiency back without replacing but (I really dislike saying this) but I have a hunch. That hunch is that most of our flights are less than 50 minutes and has slowly degraded our batteries and putting a trickle charger on them will work to solve the issue, probably after getting new batteries. Anyone ever used a trickle charger to help with this or have any they would recommend purchasing?

Thanks a bunch.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    As you have been reading, you likely have Gill batteries and the experience for many is less than ideal.

I was suggested by one of the Field Service guys to buy this trickle charger:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages...ll/gc-024e.php

You can unscrew the connector assembler and flip it around so it fits inside the door of the main battery. I have heard of good results of people using them consistently, but not sure they will fix a battery.

You could have a capacity check done on the battery which will cycle and move all the stuff around in it to let you know if you have an issue. I have had good results of 'topping' a battery off when they go through that procedure.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 28 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Battery Minder 24V S3 - mine came from Sporty’s . Be sure to pick the Gill 24V 7000 LT series S3 charger.

Then, order an ELCON adapter for the Battery Minder directly from Battery Minder. These are not available for order online. Call them at 631-423-8220 Ext. 8. Ask for the ELCON RT.

If you plan on trickle charging both batteries at the same time, order two ELCON RT’s and a splitter Part Number 210AY.

I don’t have the ability to charge the batteries while keeping them in my Phenom due to being in a busy community hangar. Although, if you have this option, order everything above and add a 25 foot extension from Battery Minder Part Number DCE25.

I hope this helps.