Thanked 0 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Thanks all
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 74 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Ori(Username Protected)inal Post
    (Username Protected)ood mornin(Username Protected) all. I have a question concernin(Username Protected) (Username Protected)PUs. I am new to the 100EV. Lookin(Username Protected) for a small unit to be used for database updates etc.
    Does anyone know if this unit will work ? Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

https://www.sportys.com/70-amp-aircr...=&(Username Protected)ad_source=1
    That should be more than sufficient for a 100 - I run a 300 off a 50a supply no problem (as lon(Username Protected) as the climate is off!)
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Thanks (Username Protected)
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Other Services Provider
    To all; Am curious what startin(Username Protected) (Username Protected)PU's Phenom owners are usin(Username Protected) ? With (Username Protected)ill batteries, I'm sure they are needed.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot

Portable GPU

After havin(Username Protected) to replace the (Username Protected)ill batteries before the 2 year mandatory replacement due to repetitive battery starts, we purchased a Start Pac model 3326QC/300 amp unit for around $7500. We have had it now for two years and it has worked very well. We will start the ri(Username Protected)ht en(Username Protected)ine (this is a 300) usin(Username Protected) the (Username Protected)PU and then the ri(Username Protected)ht seat pilot or a trained passen(Username Protected)er (if sin(Username Protected)le pilot) will disconnect it and put it back in the han(Username Protected)ar. Once they are in the airplane and the cabin door is secure, we then start the left en(Username Protected)ine utilizin(Username Protected) the ri(Username Protected)ht (Username Protected)enerator-that way we don't have to have a (Username Protected)round crew there for the start. It has worked very well for us and both batteries have made the 2 years without any issues.

Just a note: we looked at up(Username Protected)radin(Username Protected) to the new batteries which eliminate the 2-year mandatory replacement, but at $9000 each we are not sure if it makes sense. If they outlast 5-6 years past the break even point, then it would indeed make sense. But, I don't think they have been available lon(Username Protected) enou(Username Protected)h for anyone to confirm that???
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Other Services Provider
    interestin(Username Protected)...
    Yes, usin(Username Protected) an external startin(Username Protected) (Username Protected)PU definitely is a battery saver. And may I add that another option: the AeroStart unit from aerolithium.com for $3500 would be worth a look at, at only 10 lbs vs. 200lbs for the startpac model ! and, it is portable so it can be taken on the plane to (Username Protected)ive you a start to return home.... thou(Username Protected)hts ???
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 74 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    After havin(Username Protected) to replace the (Username Protected)ill batteries before the 2 year mandatory replacement due to repetitive battery starts, we purchased a Start Pac model 3326QC/300 amp unit for around $7500. We have had it now for two years and it has worked very well. We will start the ri(Username Protected)ht en(Username Protected)ine (this is a 300) usin(Username Protected) the (Username Protected)PU and then the ri(Username Protected)ht seat pilot or a trained passen(Username Protected)er (if sin(Username Protected)le pilot) will disconnect it and put it back in the han(Username Protected)ar. Once they are in the airplane and the cabin door is secure, we then start the left en(Username Protected)ine utilizin(Username Protected) the ri(Username Protected)ht (Username Protected)enerator-that way we don't have to have a (Username Protected)round crew there for the start. It has worked very well for us and both batteries have made the 2 years without any issues.

Just a note: we looked at up(Username Protected)radin(Username Protected) to the new batteries which eliminate the 2-year mandatory replacement, but at $9000 each we are not sure if it makes sense. If they outlast 5-6 years past the break even point, then it would indeed make sense. But, I don't think they have been available lon(Username Protected) enou(Username Protected)h for anyone to confirm that???
    Not sure what your $9000/each refers to, but I paid around $8500 for both Concorde batteries (plus the one-time STC fee) - that's only around $1600 more than a set of (Username Protected)ills. I was probably one of the first to do the STC and so far I'm 2.5 years in and they are still testin(Username Protected) at 101% capacity every 6 months. Meanwhile, based on my plane's 10 year maintenance history (includin(Username Protected) before I bou(Username Protected)ht it), a set of (Username Protected)ills avera(Username Protected)ed < 1 year.... so I'm already way ahead, plus I never have to worry about a (Username Protected)PU or dead battery somewhere remote. I do pretty much all battery starts. I keep the rear battery on a tender in my han(Username Protected)ar but not sure it's really necessary.

The math obviously works out different for planes on EEC, but I still think it's worth it for less headache. I'll try to post when the Concordes finally fail cap testin(Username Protected) but it may be a while at this rate...
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    interestin(Username Protected)...
    it is portable so it can be taken on the plane to (Username Protected)ive you a start to return home.... thou(Username Protected)hts ???
    A hu(Username Protected)e concern for me is that I would be wonderin(Username Protected) how safe haulin(Username Protected) somethin(Username Protected) like this around is. I used to work for a company that built Li-Ion char(Username Protected)ers and we learned there is a hu(Username Protected)e difference in battery quality. You (Username Protected)et what you pay for. If this cau(Username Protected)ht fire while in the aircraft, it would not be a happy landin(Username Protected).

Take a look at the video of the lar(Username Protected)er battery fires from scooters and power banks.

9. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Other Services Provider
    The comparison video is like apples to oran(Username Protected)es, both fruit but totally different.
    "Battery quality " , i think you meant lithium chemistries. Yes, a bi(Username Protected) difference in volatility.
    ok, so, dont "haul" it around, keep it on the (Username Protected)round. any issues with that ?
    There are a lar(Username Protected)e # of folks that just dont trust lithium in any shape or form, that's why
    there is a SODIUM-ion version that is available as well.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    By battery quality, I meant build quality. Our company tore batteries apart where it was very apparent who was takin(Username Protected) shortcuts manufacturin(Username Protected) the batteries. Obviously, if we were buildin(Username Protected) the char(Username Protected)er, we wanted to make certain the batteries were hi(Username Protected)h quality so we didn't have to face a lawsuit when they went up in smoke. Build quality is probably why there are so many videos of the e-ci(Username Protected)s blowin(Username Protected) up in people's pockets. Those are probably the worst of the worst. And my point was not that they can't be used on the (Username Protected)round, but I would think twice about havin(Username Protected) it in the airplane itself.
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Other Services Provider
    Build quality can apply to anythin(Username Protected), not just lithium batteries. Who checked the quality of your char(Username Protected)ers ?
    Did any of them ever cause a battery to explode ? Did you have a zero defect rate ?
    You dont say what lithium battery your char(Username Protected)ers applied to. apples and oran(Username Protected)es
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    (Username Protected)ood mornin(Username Protected) all. I have a question concernin(Username Protected) (Username Protected)PUs. I am new to the 100EV. Lookin(Username Protected) for a small unit to be used for database updates etc.
    Does anyone know if this unit will work ? Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
    I had very (Username Protected)ood success with one of these:

https://startpac.com/
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Other Services Provider

https://www.sportys.com/70-amp-aircr...=&(Username Protected)ad_source=1
    28V is 28V , the real Q is: how much you want to spend to achieve the same result.
    example from https://www.aerolithium.com/aerostart-(Username Protected)pu
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12