1. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor

Garmin NXI ILS bug -- watch out !

Look out for this one ! This is a in a Cessna Mustang with NXi, but may apply the Phenom NXi.

Last month I got bit (3) separate times on a new G1000 NXI bug I had not seen before.

EVENT 1
    KSAT ILS 13-R

Coming in from the east we loaded the ILS 13-R using the Vectors to Final transition. Once given our first Radar Vector (Vectors to the Final Approach Course) we pressed Procedure and selected Activate Vectors to Final.

My old saying is "If you change the SOURCE, you check the COURSE". The Source refers to the CDI/Active Nav autoswitching from GPS/FMS to LOC1 (Magenta Needles to Green Needles).

Sure enough to my surprise when the CDI changed over to Green Needles the Garmin autoslewed the INCORRECT course. Instead of slewing a course of 128, it slewed the reciprocal of 308. Alarmed, I immediately changed the needles back to FMS1 (Magenta) and reloading the approach. Sure enough it did it again!

Now clearly established on the downwind for the ILS and approaching abeam the Final Approach Fix ALAMO we reached up to the CRS knob and manually slewed in the correct course of 128.

We had no issue using NAV to join the localizer and later APR mode when cleared for the ILS.

EVENT 2
    Over College Station, TX (KCLL) enroute to Conroe, TX (KCXO).

Handed off to Houston Approach and told to fly heading 020 Vectors to Final, we pressed PROC button and Activated Vectors to Final. Again, the Garmin NXI autoslewed the wrong course when it changed to green needles. This time it gave us a random course that was just some number 358 that had nothing to do with the ILS 14 at KCXO (course 140). Again, we switched back to FMS1 (Magenta needles) and reloaded the approach. Same thing, wrong course. We had to manually slew the course of 140 using the CRS knob. No issue using NAV or APR buttons to join final and glideslope.

EVENT 3
    South Bend, Indiana (KSBN)

ILS 27-L. Same deal Loaded the ILS 27-L with the Vectors to Final transition and upon receiving the first radar vector for vectors to the final approach course. When you change the Source, you check the Course! Yup, it Autoslewed a course of 092. The reciprocal. Again we manually had to slew the course to 272.

We did get an FMS message that informed us the wrong course was autoslewed (see picture below) but note it says the correct course is 092. It's NOT!

Here is the working assumption: If you go to an airport like KSAT or KSBN that for an ILS for both directions to the same runway. 13R-31L or 09R-27L and the airport had chosen to use the SAME FREQUENCY for both directions. Not a Localizer Backcourse, but a true ILS where localizer antenna housing exists at both ends of the runways for two localizer front courses (one in each direction) the new NXI apparently is looking for the closest front course QDM (Course) in relation to the aircraft's position.

That's nuts! Half of the time the aircraft approaches the ILS from the downwind side.

I reported this to Garmin Tech support and provided them videos and pictures. Heard nothing back. Finally went back to them after two weeks and their pilot group came back to me and said the engineers say it's working correctly.

G1000 or G3000 never worked this way nor did it behave in this fashion. The pilot from Garmin said he felt that once it's in green needles it should autoslew itself back to the correct course some time later. Really? FYI folks, I have never ever seen a Garmin unit switch to green needles and slew a course and then later while still in green needles autoslew a new course.

Trust me - I plan on flight testing this a lot of more but for now -- be careful. Remember my saying "If you change the Source, check the Course!"

See pictures below.

Safe flying,
    (Username Protected)Y
    2010 National CFI of the Year
    Instructor/Mentor Pilot: Citation Mustang/NXI/CJ-M Series 525
    www.(Username Protected)Ycfi.com

Name:  KSBN ILS 27 plate.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  107.0 KBName:  KSBN ILS 09R wrong course.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  141.7 KBName:  FMS Check Course box.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  131.5 KB
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I've had this happen in our standard G1000 install in our Meridian as well. What I don't understand is that you select which runway you are going to land on when you select the approach. Why is it trying to over complicate the system by basing it on where the aircraft is?

(Username Protected)-
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected)Y - I could be very wrong but what if you took it off suspend? Maybe it'll sequence the correct inbound leg.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    This has been an issue with G1000 for years in the Meridian as well. I have experienced this at least a dozen times, which has forced me to always check the course degrees in the course box.