1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Nxi Wifi database updates via Garmin Pilot Database Concierge

I attempted this for the first time yesterday and it failed hard. Transfer stalled out at ~30% and then I could never get it to complete. Tried several restarts of everything, avioinics, iPad, etc.

Ended up reverting to the old school SD card method, which worked.

As far as I can tell, the issue is with the WiFi connection between the iPad and the Flightstream 510. Anyone experienced similar issues? Any ideas?
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    Praetor/Legacy Owner & Pilot
    I have NXi on my Cirrus (about 3 years old). I abandoned the WiFi update long ago. It isn't worth the trouble. Plus, if it is a lot of data you are waiting a long time. On GPU that's ok but not on batteries. One would have hoped that Garmin would have addressed this by now.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I used the FlightStream 510 to update databases on my Cirrus with NXi for two years with very few problems. I found it was very important to keep the firmware updated on the FlightStream card. Anytime I had a hiccup, the service center would update the card's firmware and everything would work great after that. You may want to have someone check your firmware version and update as needed.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    Praetor/Legacy Owner & Pilot
    Hey, thanks. Look at that, you fix a Cirrus problem on a Phenom board.
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    We've had the same issue. I've replaced the 510FS and updated the firmware previously. I spent some time with Garmin again today to see if we could sort this out. Part of the issue I believe is since the 510 isn't working, I've been updating with the SD card. Now the Garmin Pilot and the NXi will be out of sync and may not accept all the transfers--just a guess. Regardless, Garmin indicated the 510FS is glitchy and said that anything before 2.3 might be a problem. I'll update to the newest firmware for the 510FS. Let you know how it works. It's such a great product. this is the weak link.
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I've never had one transfer fail. After hearing here, it feels like mine may be one of the better ones. I occasionally have it where it doesn't offer to update a database where my phone/iPad is saying one update is ready to transfer. I haven't resolved that on the spot. I usually just wait til next flight and I seem to recall it just 'works'.

I have a flight Thursday and of course I have some updates needed by then. I'll make sure to be prepared with an SD-card. To earlier points, SD updating literally takes a minute or two and is much faster than WiFi or previous G1000.
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I posted a fairly detailed set of suggested steps that has worked well for me on this other thread:
    https://www.phenompilots.org/threads...ll=1#post55866

Caveat: These tricks were learned from 510 experience on Cirrus and TBM aircraft. However my 300 is getting an NXI installed as we speak, so I'll let you know if I find anything different there.
  8. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I updated my 300 today via Garmin Pilot. It continues to work flawlessly for me. I did follow the guide (Username Protected) posted just to see if it would improve the experience. Charts is by far the longest update @ about 8 min and then takes probably another 2 minutes to sync up. NavData took less than a minute all in.
  9. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    One troubleshooting tip to share...
    I've noticed a few situations where Garmin Pilot & the Flightstream get confused about what version of a DB is available for transfer, and the transfer fails as a result. I don't know the exact steps to trigger this, but it seems most common on the Jepp ChartView data (which Pilot already doesn't really track properly which version is installed). I've seen it on the Navdata as well.
    One scenario that seems to cause it is something like:
    • NXI has ChartView ver 2112 active / 2111 standby
    • Garmin Pilot has 2113 downloaded, but it doesn't get installed
    • 2114 is released and Garmin Pilot downloads it as well
    • When you connect to FlightStream to do the update, it shows 2113 as the "device" version available (rather than 2114).
    • When it starts to sync, it fails as soon as you connect to wifi when it would normally start to copy - no progress occurs.

I tried a bunch of different ways to fix this, including deleting Garmin Pilot and re-installing/re-downloading the databases to update, however so far the only fix I've found that seems to work consistently is:
    • On the NXI, go to the current databases and SWAP the active & standby database that is being problematic (in the example above, this would move 2111 Chartview to active and 2112 to Standby). After you select the databases to swap, restart the avionics (the NXI has the handy restart button now so you don't need to power down).
    • One restarted, verify that the swap has occurred (2111 is active in this example). The NXI will probably show that it wants to swap the active & standby on the next restart -- I cancel this swap (just scroll to the DB and hit enter which will remove the <-> swap arrows).
    • Now, connect the Garmin Pilot app as normal, select the device databases on the NXI, and select the DB you want to copy from the device -- it seems to show the correct version now (2114 in this example) and the transfer completes successfully.

So far this has fixed it both times it's occurred for me. Clearly a software bug in the DB Concierge update process somewhere, not sure if it's on the Pilot side or Flightstream.
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Not sure what good luck charm you own (Username Protected) but my new NXI installation, Garmin Pilot and FlightStream 510 TOTALLY SUCK! If my company's product was as crappy as Garmin Pilot and Flightstream 510 we'd be out of business yesterday!

I spent an hour trying to get my databases updated via Garmin Pilot; no luck. Garmin Pilot says its connecting, I see the WIFI connect, and then it drops out. I finally gave up and used JDM to download the updates to an SD card. Took 10 minutes and a pair of tweezers to get the GD Flightstream card out of the lower MFD slot (grrrrr). The Obstacle and Charts databases didn't transfer from the SD card; WTF!!! I tried Garmin Pilot again; no luck. Total Piece of SH*T! So glad I updated to NXI... what a NIGHTMARE.
  11. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), We've had many of the same problems when it comes to uploading the databases. It's very glitchy--sometimes it connects, and sometimes it doesn't. we've replaced the 510FS and updated the software on the 510FS and that helps but I always make sure I have the most current data on a SD card. We've never had a problem with the iPad's connecting with the NXi in flight. I spoke to Garmin on the issue a number of times and they admitted it's very glitchy. Other than the issues with the 510FS loading the data, the NXi is a major upgrade to the G1000. It's faster, better fidelity, more features and 1/4 the cost of upgrading the Collins system, and can be done in one day. If you're having problems, other than the 510FS, it could be the instillation. We put the NXi in a Mustang at a Textron service center. We had to bring it back five times and had the right side shut down in flight. We had Three Wing in Bridgeport, CT (BDR) install the NXi in the Phenom in one day. No issues.
  12. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) - forget about updating using the FS510, I have never gotten it to work reliably.

Just download all the data to a fresh SD Card, pop the FS510 card (it should spring push right out, I suggest getting the MFD replaced under warranty), put the SD card in, boot up the system and watch the update progress on AUX > Databases. The data is automatically synced to the PFDs during this process. Once complete it will prompt you to reboot the screens, however I instead power down manually and reinsert the FS510. Very fast process compared to G1000.
  13. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I must have the one that works. Mine works flawlessly almost every time. I have set my ipad as the primary device and it almost always sees updates. I have at times found a way to force the update if it sees it without prompting it. I can't remember the sequence now. it has to do with hitting the button that shows what the NXi's databases are with what is in standby and active and the update button will light up.

Next time I can try to capture a video.
  14. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Make sure the firmware on the card is the latest. Solved all my FS510 problems...
  15. Username Protected

Thanked 33 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    you should all feel blessed. If you see how complicated it is to update the Collins database on the Praetor... The Collins system is in stone age. Let alone the cost of the nav database being 10 times what Garmin charges for the same database......
  16. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Make sure the firmware on the card is the latest. Solved all my FS510 problems...
    What is the latest release?
  17. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Looks like 2.71 is the current firmware release. Info can be found here with release notes:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=6895
  18. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I checked and I have version 2.71. I googled the issue and saw a few tips; tried them all with no success. The module connects with my Ipad, announces that the download has started and then disconnects; total P.O.S. Getting the card out of the MFD slot is a major challenge. A normal SD card ejects properly but the Flightstream card does not. I have to use tweezers to pull it out.

I managed to get the databases updated using the SD card. Very strange as it only loaded the Nav and Airport data at first. I then wiped the SD card and put Obstacles and Chart data back on the card. It then downloaded the remaining data.
  19. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), I had many of the same problems. I did get a replacement 510FS that helped to some extent, but it is glitchy. sometimes it takes a few minutes to start and or fails. I always have the data a backed up on SD cards. Using the SD cards I found it important to make sure you're starting with a clean formatted SD cards (3). make sure that Nav data is only on one card for the top slot, and everything else is on the bottom SD card. Both can be updated at the same time. If there is Nav Data on the bottom SD or flightstream on the top card I've had problems. The newest version of JDM knows when you insert the card what needs to be updated. So i keep 3 SD cards, one for Nav, one for all other data, and one to download the data from the Garmin.
  20. Username Protected

Thanked 28 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I do the same process (Username Protected) outlined above and it is very simple and quick (<5 minutes total). The only thing I do differently is use the reboot soft key, then quickly swap the my SD update card and reinsert the FS510.

I did try updating the databases wirelessly using Garmin Pilot and the FS510 once and that was enough times for me.
  21. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) - did you happen to try my suggestion from previous in the thread:
    https://www.phenompilots.org/threads...ll=1#post57453

The symptoms I was having were very similar to yours -- it would show the update available, when you start and connect to wifi it would show starting transfer and immediately stop. I've had it happen a handful of times so far, and at least so far the trick of swapping the active/standby prior to doing the update seems to have fixed it.

I checked and I have version 2.71. I googled the issue and saw a few tips; tried them all with no success. The module connects with my Ipad, announces that the download has started and then disconnects; total P.O.S. Getting the card out of the MFD slot is a major challenge. A normal SD card ejects properly but the Flightstream card does not. I have to use tweezers to pull it out.

I managed to get the databases updated using the SD card. Very strange as it only loaded the Nav and Airport data at first. I then wiped the SD card and put Obstacles and Chart data back on the card. It then downloaded the remaining data.
  22. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I updated databases yesterday and surprise, the FS510 worked, albeit a bit slow but at least it worked!
  23. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    All -

We have been having similar issues with our 510 card in a P100 with G1000 NXi as above and have been running the issue up the ladder at Garmin to see if some concrete resolution can be found. During my discussions with the NXi SME at Garmin, he had a few useful suggestions:

- First, for the 'Database update available' window to appear on the G1000, the current window must be the Aux->Connext Setup page.
    - Second, it seems that the G1000 will have an easier time recognizing the need for an update if it is receiving satellites and has verified the correct date and time. I haven't had a chance to verify this.
    - Third: if installation is buggy or not working well, 'force' the installation from the Aux -> Databases page using the blue arrows, but separate the installation of the Nav database from the rest given the relative sizes.

We have also found that if the system hangs after Wifi connection at 'transfer starting' with the flashing ellipsis, restart the system and re-seat the 510 card (remove it and put it back in again) and this will at least allow a 'forced' update via the Aux->Databases page.

While these are incidental workarounds, they are not the full solution. Our contact at Garmin indicated that they have yet to find a true software solution but that Garmin is well aware of the problem and has elevated it to the highest level. Hopefully they will find a permanent solution!

Cheers,

(Username Protected)
  24. Username Protected

Thanked 11 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    I just read this thread and, for the purpose of adding another datapoint and not for piling on, will agree that the Garmin NXi updates using Garmin Pilot are extremely finicky and unreliable. I am seeing all of the same things that have been reported on this thread and the prior thread on this topic.

While I have updated the databases successfully a few times in the past year or so, it almost never happens on the first attempt. Like (Username Protected), I have abandoned the Garmin Pilot update method and now just load a card. It is much faster and much more reliable so, for the time being, that is the method that I will stick with. That is really unfortunate because updates were the only reason that I renewed Garmin Pilot!

There are some good suggestions in the thread, though, and I will check my firmware and see if there is a warranty issue because I, too, have trouble removing the Flightstream card.

(Username Protected)
    N685AS
  25. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    What is Garmin pilot?
    is that required subscription for a straight 100?
    How often does nav database needs updating?
    chart database?
    Does Garmin allow owners to download new database periodically? How often?
    Whats the cost?
  26. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    What is Garmin pilot?
    is that required subscription for a straight 100?
    How often does nav database needs updating?
    chart database?
    Does Garmin allow owners to download new database periodically? How often?
    Whats the cost?
    Garmin Pilot is Garmin's ForeFlight competitor. It is not required, but with G1000 NXi you gain some functionality such as wireless database transfers (discussed in this thread), the ability to change XM Radio channels, display XM Weather on the iPad (via the NXi).

The navdata base is updated every month (just the like the Eclipse). You can either buy the data from Garmin (update using fly.garmin.com) or via Jeppesen (using JDM). I think it is $1000/yr for the normal databases via Garmin, if you want Jeppsen charts on the MFD it is slightly more.
  27. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Garmin Pilot is Garmin's ForeFlight competitor. It is not required, but with G1000 NXi you gain some functionality such as wireless database transfers (discussed in this thread), the ability to change XM Radio channels, display XM Weather on the iPad (via the NXi).

The navdata base is updated every month (just the like the Eclipse). You can either buy the data from Garmin (update using fly.garmin.com) or via Jeppesen (using JDM). I think it is $1000/yr for the normal databases via Garmin, if you want Jeppsen charts on the MFD it is slightly more.
    (Username Protected)
    Any difference between ordering navdata from Garmin vs Jepp? Ease of downloads? Customer service? Help with trouble shooting etc?