1. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Database update process for G1000

Does anyone have a streamlined process for updating the regular G1000 (not NXi) databases for a Phenom 100? The loading of databases just doesn't seem very intuitive - pulling CB's to cycle PFD1, PFD2 and the MFD seems sort of cumbersome. But cycling the power for the entire airplane on and off 6 times seems to be a worse idea.

A step-by-step procedure would be appreciated!
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    There is a fairly detailed set of steps here:
    https://usermanual.wiki/Document/Pro...1631041477.pdf

I don't know if it makes it any less cumbersome... it just is.

The NXI + FlightStream 510 is so much better it's not even funny.
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Does anyone have a streamlined process for updating the regular G1000 (not NXi) databases for a Phenom 100? The loading of databases just doesn't seem very intuitive - pulling CB's to cycle PFD1, PFD2 and the MFD seems sort of cumbersome. But cycling the power for the entire airplane on and off 6 times seems to be a worse idea.
    A step-by-step procedure would be appreciated!
    I don't do the whole CB thing or cycle the power; silly. The latest version of the Jepp software provides 3x copies of each of the files. Just download the files directly on to each PFD/MFD SD card; with the exception of the Nav Database. I keep a 'standard' SD card loose in the top MFD slot for use in downloading the NAV data as well as CMC uploads.
    1) Pop cards out of PFD/MFD
    2) Download new data to each SD card
    3) Pop cards back into the PFD/MFD (note - write the location on each card)
    4) Power On - Go to the AUX screen and look at the data screen on the right. When it says everything is verified turn power back off.
    5) If you are also doing the NAV data, download the Nav Data onto the standard SD card
    6) Pop into the top MFD slot
    7) Power On - It will ask if you want to update the Backup (yes). When finished it will ask if you want to update the Active (depends)
    8) Go to the AUX screen and look at the data screen on the right. You will see it updating NAV to PFD1/2. When finished power off
    9) Power Off
    DONE
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 14 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I agree with Phil. That’s how I do it too.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    So just to clarify, if you're doing Nav data at the same time, you just pop it into the top slot of the MFD only? Or do you have 3 nav cards, 1 for the top slot of PFD1 and PFD2 as well? And last question I promise: if you're doing Nav data at the same time, is it OK to put that card with the new data in the top slot when you put the updated data cards in the bottom slot, do you you have to do that update on a different power-up cycle?

Thanks for the help!
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    The NAV data only needs to be loaded on the MFD. Once the MFD has loaded the data it will automatically cross feed it to the PFDs. On the AUX page (forget the sub menu page) on the right where the databases are shown, you will see a count down as it sends the NAV data to the PFDs. Takes about 1 minute or so. Don't shut off the plane until it finishes. The same goes for the verifying of the various other data files. I leave the jet powered until they all complete their verification; a couple minutes.

Just remember to pop the NAV card out of the top MFD slot or it will ask you to load the NAV files every time you cycle power. I leave it loose in the slot so its handy if I need to upload a CMC file.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Phillip - thanks for the clear instructions. I wish Garmin's were as detailed .
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 39 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    I do it the same way that Phillip explained. A couple of pointers: if you ever have FUEL PUMP FAIL CAS messages it can be associated with a corrupt file on the MFD card. Simply format the card and reload the database on it and that should fix it. Also, the only file that should be on the NAV card is the ldr.sys file. Do not share the NAV card with any other card. Lastly, I recommend not leaving the NAV card in the top slot of the MFD when not in use. Take it out and store it safely in the side pocket or somewhere else. It can do random things when left in. The most annoying is it can ask you to the Do you want to load question every power up. This is one of the things I do for mentor clients when I first get with them and help them with their new Phenoms. Have fun!
  9. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    One clarification- you don't actually need to pull out the PFD cards, except for the rare occasions you are updating the terrain DB (less than once per year). All the other DBs will sync across screens, not just Nav Data. This method does require a power cycle, but I always cycle power after a DB update in any event, to ensure everything looks good.
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    One clarification- you don't actually need to pull out the PFD cards, except for the rare occasions you are updating the terrain DB (less than once per year). All the other DBs will sync across screens, not just Nav Data. This method does require a power cycle, but I always cycle power after a DB update in any event, to ensure everything looks good.
    True, but cross copying the database data from the MFD to the PFDs takes a long time and unless you have a GPU it burns a lot of battery power. I find that it is much faster to simply program the three cards directly from the Jepp application; it provides three instances to download.

As per the prior post, I do not leave the top MFD card inserted; I leave it ejected but still in the slot. That way I always have the card ready if I need to download a CMC event.
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 14 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Phil,
    What is a CMC event and how do you download it?
  12. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    When you have an aircraft issue the 1st thing Embraer requests is a CMC download. The CMC files capture all of the behind the scenes data flow and they are sorted by date/time and location. On the G1000 (I'm not in the plane so this may not be entirely correct) go to AUX main page and the Maintenance sub page. Hit the PASSWORD key and the password is EMBG1K. You will then be presented with several folders of CMC files such as Engine, CAS etc. You click on the folder you want and you will see the list of files. Highlight the file and copy it to the SD card in the top slot. It is really quite simple. I recommend you do this for the fun of it and look at a couple files. They are .csv (excel) format. Quite interesting seeing all the background flow of information; big brother is watching you!

So that is why I leave a blank SD card ejected in the top slot. If I have an issue the 1st thing I do is pop in the SD card and download the latest CMC files. This process is detailed in the POH.

Not sure how it works with the G3000 but its probably similar.
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 14 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks Phil, I’m going to the hangar today and gonna try it...just flew in from PHX yesterday so there should be lots of data on it!
  14. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    On the G1000 (I'm not in the plane so this may not be entirely correct) go to AUX main page and the Maintenance sub page. Hit the PASSWORD key and the password is EMBG1K. You will then be presented with several folders of CMC files such as Engine, CAS etc. You click on the folder you want and you will see the list of files. Highlight the file and copy it to the SD card in the top slot. It is really quite simple. I recommend you do this for the fun of it and look at a couple files. They are .csv (excel) format. Quite interesting seeing all the background flow of information; big brother is watching you!
    I'm trying to get set up to automatically push my engine data to CAMP for ESP purposes. It seems like the CMC download is the right way to do that but the procedure you've described here is different from the procedure they suggest, which is to download "oem_diag.zip" from the Embraer site and load that onto a SD card. Seems like this may be an app that runs to perform the download?

Is there any reason to prefer one method vs the other? I'm on Nxi if it makes a difference.
  15. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I'm trying to get set up to automatically push my engine data to CAMP for ESP purposes. It seems like the CMC download is the right way to do that but the procedure you've described here is different from the procedure they suggest, which is to download "oem_diag.zip" from the Embraer site and load that onto a SD card. Seems like this may be an app that runs to perform the download?

Is there any reason to prefer one method vs the other? I'm on Nxi if it makes a difference.
    For just downloading the engine data, use the AUX > Maintenance page. Insert a blank SD card into upper slot and reboot MFD (it doesn't like inserting cards while powered onN. On NXi you don't need a password to access. Highlight the folder and press the menu key to access copy to SD card menu. There are several folders but you only need two of them (CAS_CMC & Engine). The screen will then show the copying process. After downloading you can purge the content of the folder. You then upload the files from both folders to Embraer AHEAD, and they will automatically transfer to CAMP.

Proper CMC mode with the oem_diag.zip is only needed by mechanics to debug issues. It forces the MFD to boot into an enhanced Maintence section with lots of realtime debugging variables. It is important you use the CMC oem_diag.zip file that matches the Garmin software version.
  16. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks, this is helpful. By the way, while I have you, on this phenompilots.org site, I find myself having to re-login like nearly every minute. Is there something weird with the cookie/session lifetime settings? Is that sitewide or just me?
  17. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    When you login make sure check the box "Remember Me?". I am going to try to make it checked by default.
  18. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    For just downloading the engine data, use the AUX > Maintenance page.
    I don't seem to have a Maintenance page under AUX at all. Do I need to get some setting turned on to enable access to this page? If so, how?
  19. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I don't seem to have a Maintenance page under AUX at all. Do I need to get some setting turned on to enable access to this page? If so, how?
    The installer needs to enable that setting while loading the system. I don't think it is easy to do yourself but you can ask the avionics guy.
  20. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Ugh, ok, I'll have to ask Mesa to do this then. Right now CAMP is yelling at me for being behind on sending them data.