1. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

FYI Pratt SB #4 carbon bearing Seal.....Phenom 100 only

Hi All
    Had a week long AOG event with Pratt this week, apparently this SB was issued in 2019, I guess I missed the email.....my #4 carbon bearing seal failed causing carbon and heat damage to the high pressure turbine and duct......blades sent out to be fixed. New starter generator as a result. Had to really press Pratt to look at the other engine, as they just wanted to do an oil analysis to look for discrepancies......good thing I did, as that # 4 seal was also showing wear. All this started as a hung start with a GPU. Fortunately I have ESP Gold....after talking with the Pratt guys, this could have been close to a 100k job with just the one engine. By the way, this is a 2013 bird, only 950 hours , 930 cycles.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 65 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), can you post the SB
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Here you go
    Attachments Attachments
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 39 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Good for you on making them look at the other engine. I’m sorry you had to go through this. I’m sure she’ll be better and safer after all of this.
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    The SB basically says 'when the engine is tore apart replace the #4 seal'. So is the engine sufficiently tore apart during the HSI to accomplish the SB? I would think the entire shaft needs to be removed which sounds like O/H to me.

Don't recall if it was presented at one of the conferences or some official correspondence, but we were instructed to monitor oil consumption and if the engine starts eating oil to get the bearing checked ASAP. I added a column to my flight log to note when I add oil.
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    (Username Protected)-

Aircraft that have had the HSI done recently have been getting the new seal, at least as I've experienced.

Yes, the warning signs of impending seal failure are:
    –Low oil pressure,
    –Dark oil in sight glass,
    –Messages related to chip detection, or
    –Significant difference of the oil level indication before and after flight
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Interesting points on #4:

Years ago when the Phenom 100 was "new" and way before the SB, I had #4 fail shortly after takeoff on SN 0003X (very low SN).

My interesting take aways:
    - The oil pressure started to "slowly", over a one minute period began bracket down. 90-82 then 86-78 and so on. (I don't remember the exact numbers, but YOU GET THE POINT).
    - I shut the engine down while the engine was still in the normal operating range.
    - The support from ESP was amazing, the problem engine was removed the next day and a loaner was installed within a few days.
    - The engine didn't exceed any limitations, so it was repaired and re-hung

The only CAS messages I received was related to shutting down the engine.

Thanks,
    (Username Protected)