1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Aircraft Tug Recommendations

All, I am in the process of building a new hangar and hopefully acquiring a new-to-me P300. My current tug struggles with my P100 so it definitely won't pull a P300. I am looking at the Lektro AP8600A tug; pretty pricey. My goal is to get the tug on order ASAP so as to have it in place before the new toy arrives.

What all are you using? Recommendations? Brands to avoid?

PS. I am also evaluating an electric GPU, mobile or fixed mount, for example the Unitron UDC FlatPak. Let me know your recommendations.
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Other
    Best Tug
    Not inexpensive, but well made and do the job.
    B18 should do it.
    We have the lighter weight B5 and has done a great job.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Aircraft Broker
    I 2nd Best Tugs. Give Mark Patey a call, 801-319-6227. I believe he may have a solution for ground power.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    For the tug I highly recommend the Best Tug. I've got the B12 for my P100 with the EZ Load option which makes it really simple to load/unload without the need for straps. B12 is plenty powerful for the P100. Their design is really smart and ensures smooth acceleration/deceleration to avoid any high load/stress.

For a mobile GPU I went with Start Pac and their Super Pac solution (Super Pac 2326QC/50) https://startpac.com/products/super-pac-portable-gpu/
    It's a combo unit that can run the avionics while the unit is plugged into the wall. Unplugged, the unit becomes a big battery for GPU starts. For the Phenoms, they recommended the 26v model since Phenoms are very particular about having the exact voltage. But talk to them live to confirm what you need for the P300. They are super helpful and knowledgable. Keep in mind that the unit will slowly charge the Phenom batteries while plugged in but is NOT designed to provide trickle charging. For that, I got the BatteryMinder (244CEC1-AA-S2) with the Elcon connector. Works great to trickle charge those lame GILL batteries and condition them for longer life.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Also check out DJ Products. They have 2 models. I have a friend with the 15,000 lb capacity unit and he swears by it. It has a few more features than my Best Tug B8, although Best Tug does make a great product. The B8 is probably a bit too small for the P300.

https://www.djproducts.com/product/aircraft-movers/
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 11 times
    Phenom Pilot
    I’ve used them all. Lecktro and the various others like them are nice. We had an older Clark tug but honestly got tired of messing with it and bought a John Deere tractor and bracket towbar. All around fine solution. Hydrostatic drive is best.
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I have quotes from the three recommended tugs. Looking into their ability to deal with the ramp grade into my hangar. I know the Lektro has no issue. Waiting to here back from the other two before I decide.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    I concur with (Username Protected) - Best Tugs and Start Pac
  9. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    So I ended up buying a DJ Products ACC36HD 35K LB tug. It is due in 8 weeks and I'll let you all know how it works. The unit has a 10" nose lift which I need until moving into my new hangar. They also geared it down slightly to deal with a 2-3% grade into my current hangar. The other tug companies were hesitant if they could deal with the upslope.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    My Best Tug B8 turned out to be way too small for my P100. It was fine for a Mustang, but would only work for the P100 in dry, level conditions. On snow or slick epoxy floors it is inadequate as it doesn't have enough weight - it would just sit there and spin the tires. So I sold it and bought the AirCraft Caddy 15,000 lb model ACC36 from DJ Products. Delivered all-in it was $7198.40 with the 16" tires, 9" wheel chock, hand-crank winch (which I prefer over electric), LED flood light and extra weights to give it some holding power. Very happy with it so far - it's definitely more industrial looking than the Best Tug and doesn't have the Best Tug's % power readout and Low/High speed controls, but function-wise it definitely fits the (Username Protected). It's beefier, heavier and a lot less money than the Best Tug and will handle much heavier planes.

The only thing I need now are some cable chains for the 16" tires if I can find them, which should help it in snow.
  11. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    So I finally have my P300 back from Embraer landing gear hell and have used the DJ Products ACC36HD tug a few times. I really like the battery powered motor drive; very quiet. The tug moves the P300 up my 3-4 degree ramp into the hangar with ease; plenty of power. The nose lift hydraulics work very well. What I do not like is the lack of backup nose wheel retention. The cable that secures and pulls the nose via winch seems thin given what its doing. I'm sure its rated for some multiple of the winch capacity but it just seems thin. My prior tug had two backup devices should the cable or winch fail. I asked DJ if they had a backup and they do not. I plan to fabricate some form of backup myself. Secondly, you cannot see the nose wheel "pocket" from the winch control so its difficult to know if the nose wheel is centered. There is not much clearance on either side of the nose wheel side wall. My prior tug had a winch control pendant allowing you to easily watch the entire pull-in event. I plan to add stripes on the front of the tug so I can better tell if the nose wheel is perfectly aligned with the "pocket".
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I agree that the pocket for the nose wheel is a bit narrow. You have to be spot on aligned otherwise you risk damaging your tire. I chose the manual winch for the very reason (Username Protected) describes - it's easier to see the "pocket" from the hand crank and I can tell exactly how much force I am putting on the nose gear strut since it is manual. Still, I'm pleased overall with the product.