1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

G1000 Nxi Install - L3 Skywatch Issues

Hi all--

I am the client (Username Protected) has been talking about who has been dealing with various issues in my purchase of a new Phenom 100.

We had Nxi installed and are having problems with the L3 Skywatch unit working correctly.

From what I understand so far (second hand info, so forgive me if any of this is wrong), the earlier Serial Number Phenom 100s have L3 Skywatch units installed to provide TCAS-I functionality rather than the Garmin box for TCAS-I that is in most of the later serials.

The shop doing the Nxi install isn't really sure what the actual issue is. (I don't like to post shop names publicly, but happy to share more via PM.)

Trying to track down whether this is actually a real compatibility issue with Nxi, a configuration problem, a wiring problem, or something else. It seems like relatively uncharted territory, but I'm hoping someone else has dealt with this.

I'm curious if anyone on this forum has gone to Nxi with an earlier serial number airplane that may have an L3 Skywatch unit.

Best,
    (Username Protected)
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) - I have not heard of any other P100 with the L3 system BUT the G1000 NXi Installation Manual lists it under "Optional Equipment". They also have a note "If the aircraft is equipped with Sky Watch (L3 TRC 899 TCAS) option, it is up to the installer to provide regulatory approval for the Sky Integration in the G1000 Nxi installation." so it appears Garmin never tested the combo. The plane Garmin used for the STC had the Garmin GTS 850.

Has the shop reached out to Garmin engineering?
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Maintenance Provider
    Hi (Username Protected), we have been involved in a few NXI with L3 skywatch and haven’t had any issues. What is the exact issue?
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Here's what the shop says:

Initially there is no Failure. When you go to the MFD Map / Traffic page, the system is in STBY. It Fails when:
    You select Operate and it turns ON. After functioning for close to a minute and displaying proper traffic, it Fails. Or,
    If you Test it while in STBY, it will Fail.
    My suspicions are that there are configuration changes needed to accomodate the Skywatch vs a GTS 850. Any ideas? [(Username Protected), Also sending you my cell # via PM in case you can be any help.]
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Aircraft Broker
    (Username Protected),

If you are free for a call tomorrow, I would love to connect with you briefly to discuss. Would you be available?
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Update: the shop was able to get this issue resolved. It was a configuration issue. Thanks for everyone's help.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Aircraft Broker
    Building on (Username Protected)'s post... A big thanks to (Username Protected) for taking time out of his day help us out.
  8. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Building on (Username Protected)'s post... A big thanks to (Username Protected) for taking time out of his day help us out.
    Awesome, great to see the community solving problems. Thanks (Username Protected)!