Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I just completed a 3 hour flight and did a quick turn.
    20 minutes later when we powered up, 23.9v, which forced us to get the GPU.
    We need to encourage EMB to look at Concord as an alternative unless there is some other drain that they can program out.
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),

I agree that Embraer needs to do something about the batteries. Mine were replaced in October and had the same issues that you had. I documented the issues and they replaced them in February. The new ones are much better(although I wonder whether they are good enough).

I first asked about replacement and was told the service center couldn’t get any. I ran it up the flagpole at Embraer and they told me to have the service center actually place a replacement order. They did so and I had batteries within a week.

Good luck.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),
    Thanks for that. I've got a "functional check" coming up on both batteries in a couple of weeks. Almost afraid to do it or I could be AOG! I never had a problem with the Mustang batteries, which I believe were Concorde. The batteries drop so quickly when I flip on both batts, I have maybe 4 minutes tops to get one engine started so I can charge up the batteries for the 2nd start.
    BTW, finally got my type rating 4/28. Finished up in Coeur d'Alene, a beautiful airport with an equally beautiful new FBO (Stancraft), which is CAA.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    And a follow up……

My plane was in for it’s 12 month this past week. Remember, I had two new batteries in October and then they were replaced by two new ones in February.

I’ve flown almost 40 hours since then and disconnected both batteries when not in use at home and on the road AND used a battery minder on the start battery when at home.

The start battery failed the cap check and the service center, luckily, had one in stock and replaced it with NO downtime.

I think it’s evident there is a substantial problem with the Gill batteries. Somehow, they think Embraer for a bad batch. I think it was a pretty BIG batch! Hope to see some changes soon with this issue.

The good news for me is this hasn’t caused any downtime.
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Dredging up an old thread here -- I replaced my Gills with Concordes a few months ago, and I still got stuck with a Batt 2 unable to start the airplane last week. I think the solution here is to get a battery minder on the start battery when in my home hangar. The question I have is -- do we need a different battery minder for the Concordes? Exactly what should I be getting?
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),
    I’d return the batter under warranty. Once we replaced the Gills with Concord, we’ve had no issues. Battery can sit for 3 weeks and still be good for start, though we use GPUs often.
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Dredging up an old thread here -- I replaced my Gills with Concordes a few months ago, and I still got stuck with a Batt 2 unable to start the airplane last week. I think the solution here is to get a battery minder on the start battery when in my home hangar. The question I have is -- do we need a different battery minder for the Concordes? Exactly what should I be getting?
    How long did it sit? What was the voltage when you tried to start? I haven't had any issues with the Concordes up to a week off a charger so far. I do use a 24V trickle charger for the rear battery in my hangar - nothing specialized, just a good quality 24V lead acid / AGM charger with clamps. Takes about 15 seconds to put on/off and keeps it nice and topped off for departures.
  8. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I have converted my 300 to Concordes and they have been nothing but phenomenal (had to). The above referenced experiences with the Gill mirrored mine.

I'm about a year into my Concordes and the aircraft has sat unattended for 20+ days without a trickle charger, and I still am seeing 24.4V consistently after sitting that long. The other day I left Iowa after a 2h20m flight to Florida, and with the warmer temperatures there I saw 25V after a quick turn for start up. I rarely use a GPU unless its hot out to cool the cabin. There was discussion awhile back to Mustang owners that highly encouraged them to use battery for start as that 'worked' the battery and was a positive thing for longevity and that using GPU never exercised the battery like it should leading to lower than desired performance. I don't understand batteries well enough to know if there is truth to that, but doesn't make sense to my why that logic would apply to Mustang's and not any other jet aircraft that is intended to use battery for engine start.
  9. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    What I'm told by our battery shop in Addison, TX, Ni-Cd batteries like to be used and deep cycled to retain their performance. This is not the case with lead acid batteries. While it's good for the Ni-Cd's, GPUs are best for engine starts--faster and more powerful starts.
  10. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    The battery thread stopped abruptly on 4/29/2021.
    Any further progress on EMB approving STC to replace Gills with Concorde…at least for people on EEC?
    Anyone experienced more battery issues in the last 15 months?
    I am hoping to be a Phenom 100 pilot in the next couple months and thus trying to learn what I can.
    If anyone has any ideas on how one can practice on a Garmin 1000 system, please advise.
    I ordered the G1000 training module which arrives as a USB that you plug into your computer…but I have not been able to make it work to teach me to load flight plans/approaches etc yet.
  11. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    My bad… I now see the posts as of April 2022
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I have the G1000 NXi training module, and I've never been able to get it to do anything. The instructions are useless. Garmin shouldn't even offer it as a product, it's THAT bad.
  13. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) (Username Protected)s View Post
    I have the G1000 NXi training module, and I've never been able to get it to do anything. The instructions are useless. Garmin shouldn't even offer it as a product, it's THAT bad.
    (Username Protected),
    I concur.
    I tried to get it up and runnin yesterday- no joy!
    so, I thought I am an old so and so…that’s why I can’t get it to teach me.
    so, I got my gee whiz computer savvy nephew to try…he did a little better than me, but still, not able to have it work. 90’s style software structure, he said
  14. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I had the original G 1000 training program and I could only get it to work on an old XP computer.
  15. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Anyone want to practice, I will mail the Garmin practice USB to you…cost me $59.
    Will (Username Protected) it for $29…haha!
  16. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Maintenance Provider
    I have converted my 300 to Concordes and they have been nothing but phenomenal (had to). The above referenced experiences with the Gill mirrored mine.

I'm about a year into my Concordes and the aircraft has sat unattended for 20+ days without a trickle charger, and I still am seeing 24.4V consistently after sitting that long. The other day I left Iowa after a 2h20m flight to Florida, and with the warmer temperatures there I saw 25V after a quick turn for start up. I rarely use a GPU unless its hot out to cool the cabin. There was discussion awhile back to Mustang owners that highly encouraged them to use battery for start as that 'worked' the battery and was a positive thing for longevity and that using GPU never exercised the battery like it should leading to lower than desired performance. I don't understand batteries well enough to know if there is truth to that, but doesn't make sense to my why that logic would apply to Mustang's and not any other jet aircraft that is intended to use battery for engine start.
    How have they been performing since April when the above was written?
  17. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I put mine in in February and they have been performing very well. This is in the 100.
  18. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    How have they been performing since April when the above was written?
    Phenomenal (couldn't help myself), over a year into them. The last capacity check got me 93.4% on the aft battery and 100.4% on the front. The plane sits in a hangar at times for 2-3 weeks without trickle chargers and I consistently come back to see 24.5 volts waiting for me. If I am flying consistently, I'll come and find 24.8 volts waiting for me. It's been amazing and a no brainer versus the Gill's.
  19. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Agreed. The Concorde batteries are outstanding. I was fighting the Gills all the time, never knowing whether or not I would have enough power to start, and now I don't think about it. I did receive a bad Concorde when I first made the change, but Concorde was quick to send another and cover all costs.
  20. Username Protected

Thanked 14 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Hey guys…Has anyone had issues doing a battery start on a cold morning with temperatures around 25 degrees? I may be flying to a location that is cold and was curious. I have Concorde and they are outstanding so far. Thank you.
  21. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    The message in this long thread is clear... Gill batteries are nearly useless and Concorde solves the problem. I can't imagine any Phenom owner being willing to deal with the inconvenience of Gill batteries. When I made the change, EEC covered the cost of the Gill batteries, and I was on the hook for the difference. Not a great deal, but I would make that decision over and over again. I was always fighting starting voltage, and now I never do. Oh by the way, in the unlikely event of double generator failure, would you want to be dependent on those Gill batteries? Not me...
  22. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    When it's that cold, I would use a GPU, if available, for the benefit of the engines. The cold soaked limit is >2 hours and =<0F. While counterintuitive, Concord in their training program, suggested turning lights on to warm up the batteries when it's cold to increase their output.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12