Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Thank you, will def. mention this to our DOM. Ours is due late next year.
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    We are 11 months away from our 10 year and gear overhaul and had a question about it. With the gear not being covered under EEC, does that mean just for the overhaul or if say a strut goes bad is that not covered under EEC? If it is covered for things like that, will Embraer have any issues with covering parts overhauled outside "their" network down the line?

Thanks!

(Username Protected)-
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Our read of our EEC Prime contract is that "Landing Gear Overhaul" is excluded, but that landing gear components are generally covered in EEC for unscheduled issues, subject to usual exclusions such as customer-induced damage. Furthermore, our EEC contract does NOT prohibit the use of maintenance providers outside of Embraer's network of authorizees. We use a local (not Embraer-authorized) repair station for many line maintenance needs and certain scheduled inspections, and we used Aerospace Turbine Rotables for our landing gear overhaul in 2019. We haven't had a single issue with our gear since the overhaul, but for other components in the aircraft, we also haven't had any issues getting immediate EEC coverage when they need replacement (other than the fact that we've been waiting for the Embraer supply chain to procure a new windshield for ~4 months now!).
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I am curious since they are creating their own parts, as mentioned previously and to FAA standards. Since they are not OEM, does the end result of the 10 year gear overhaul end with STC paperwork? Will the market view that poorly in resale?

As a side note, my bird is scheduled for its 10 year starting mid April and I have chosen Av8 for the gear.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) - no, there is no Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) associated with the landing gear overhaul. Speaking on behalf of Aerospace Turbine Rotables, Inc. (and I believe this is also true for WestStar and Av8), the 10-year landing gear overhaul is performed in accordance with the ELEB/Embraer Component Maintenance Manuals (CMMs) and Component Repair Manuals (CRMs), and there are no changes to the design, function, weight, etc. of the landing gear, so no STC would be required. FAA has other avenues to approve the design and manufacture of replacement parts that don't involve STC paperwork (e.g. FAA PMA, FAA TSO, etc.). For these landing gear, I believe that you will receive the same paperwork from all of the overhaul providers: an FAA Form 8130-3 Airworthiness Certificate, and the work order package providing the detail of the work performed and traceability for all of the parts used. I am not aware of any reason why the value of the aircraft would be affected by the overhaul, except in the case of the "Power by the Hour" option at Aerospace Turbine Rotables. Owners who have already pre-paid a portion of the next landing gear overhaul would get "credit" for that upon resale similar to ESP coverage on the engines.

Good luck with your upcoming gear overhaul.
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    We are currently scheduling our 120 and gear overhaul for this December and received our price quotes from our Service Center. In it they gave us 3 options for our landing gear O/H:

1: Flat Rate, plus overages, 30-40 work day lead time. $110
    2: Fixed Rate, No overages, 30-40 work day lead time. $132
    3: Exchanged gear, No overages, 5-10 days. $138

So, my primary question is about option 3, which while expensive is the least amount of downtime during our busies time of flying. However, is an overhauled gear coming back to you basically to brand new spec? Reason I ask is that our current gear has been hangered in an air conditioned space its entire life and as about 1100 cycles on it. If we choose option 3, we could be getting someone's 8000 cycle gear that spent all it's life outside in the PNW. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Without knowing the answer to those questions, we are leaning towards option 2 and then doing a Time Zero on our serial number to move our inspection schedule to over the summer for future events since we don't fly nearly as much in the summer. Doesn't help us this year, but will help going forward.

Much appreciated for any help,

(Username Protected)-
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 47 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks (Username Protected), I have read through that and it definitely has a lot of good info. I plan on reaching out to Av8 today to see about answering the other questions.

(Username Protected)-
  9. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 47 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Yes, Please do. I was very good with the service they all did. Highly recommend Constant Aviation in Orlando but don’t know where are you based.
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    We are currently scheduling our 120 and gear overhaul for this December and received our price quotes from our Service Center. In it they gave us 3 options for our landing gear O/H:

1: Flat Rate, plus overages, 30-40 work day lead time. $110
    2: Fixed Rate, No overages, 30-40 work day lead time. $132
    3: Exchanged gear, No overages, 5-10 days. $138

So, my primary question is about option 3, which while expensive is the least amount of downtime during our busies time of flying. However, is an overhauled gear coming back to you basically to brand new spec? Reason I ask is that our current gear has been hangered in an air conditioned space its entire life and as about 1100 cycles on it. If we choose option 3, we could be getting someone's 8000 cycle gear that spent all it's life outside in the PNW. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Without knowing the answer to those questions, we are leaning towards option 2 and then doing a Time Zero on our serial number to move our inspection schedule to over the summer for future events since we don't fly nearly as much in the summer. Doesn't help us this year, but will help going forward.

Much appreciated for any help,

(Username Protected)-
    Verify that these numbers include the R&R labor for the gear off and on. Usually that is close to $10k.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12