1. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Other

Phenom 100 vs 100E / 100EV Performance

First thanks to those who responded to my other post on landing & takeoff, got a lot of good info on forum and phonecons. The folks with whom I spoke all had straight 100 experience and were very helpful, but have not heard from anyone with 100E and/or EV experience.

Question for those who have experience with 100E and/or 100EV. I believe that the E and EV have added air brakes/ground spoilers.
    Wondering if you have seen any improvement in runway landing performance, particularly in wet and or contaminated?

Second, have heard that the EV has had some hydraulic issues. Looking again for folks with EV experience to find out what, if any, those issues may have been.

Thanks again in advance.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected) -

I am one of the straight 100 experience, but I believe if you look at the landing numbers the air brakes provide minimal braking assistance. If memory serves it might be 75-100 feet by the book and there may not even be different numbers from it.

The only advice I have heard is while there is an STC to add that system to a straight 100, the word on the street is not to as it causes a lot of problems. I have no direct experience with that, but recall several advising against adding. I know you didn't ask that, but wanted to add it here.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Other
    (Username Protected),

Thanks for the response. Based on discussions with the folks at Embraer, they did not update the landing numbers to reflect the addition and use of the air brakes/landing spoilers. This is a big part of why I am trying to find folks who may have experience with both the straight 100 as well as the E/EV post spoilers.

Thanks,

(Username Protected)
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 18 times
    Phenom Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected),

I operate a 100 and 100EV and the landing data for both are similar as published in the AFM for each model. It's nice to have the added weight on wheels via the speed brakes, so I'd say controllability is a bit better on the 100EV and brakes do seem to be a bit more effective, but I'm not sure if the differences are meaningful. I've been operating the 100 series for 8 years and I typically stay away from wet runways less than 5000ft of LDA regardless of variant.

Excerpt from QRH Flaps Full landing distance attached. Note, I no longer have access to the 100E manuals and the numbers attached below are based on the engine type and not based on the installation of speed brakes. Hopefully I can share these QRH excerpts under the 'Fair Use' Rule.

Regarding your second question, yes, I've experienced a hydraulic power pack failure on the EV. It happened at FL400 and as soon as the power pack failed, the landing gear free fell. I was able to restore HYD pressure before landing which enabled the use of normal braking.

-(Username Protected)

Name:  P100EV LANDING DATA.jpg
Views: 3031
Size:  98.2 KBName:  Phenom 100 QRH LANDING.jpg
Views: 2974
Size:  95.3 KB
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    We are researching several light jets to replace one of our King Air C90A aircraft. We have identified the 100 as a plane that might fit our operation. We operate in Wyoming with high and hot conditions in July and August and contaminated runway conditions during the winter and spring. I would appreciate it if someone could advise us regarding the takeoff and climb performance on 30 C days at 7000’ airports and how well does the 100 handle snow covered runways. I appreciate your help.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 18 times
    Phenom Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected), I ran an analysis on APG for our P100EV for KLAR. (Link to download the analysis at the bottom.)

For takeoff, I used an OAT of +30C which reduced MTOW from 10,703lbs down to 10,481 and for landing performance, I used a warmer day (+10C) on a wet snow runway (1/4inch) which isn't likely, but provided the most limiting numbers.

Worth noting, it doesn't appear you can arrive in KLAR with WING/STAB boots turned on because the plane will be climb limited.

APG listed the max landing weight with WING/STAB to be 6906lbs. For reference, our empty weight is 7370.

Feel free to send me a message if you'd like any further analysis.

-(Username Protected)

N192BL-KLAR-KLAR.pdf

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0gXxXAM04CHdEE60dCbfkhBpQ#N192BL-KLAR-KLAR
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    (Username Protected), thank you for your time in doing this APG analysis. With our high elevation airports and the wx extremes that we frequently encounter, our jet aircraft options for replacing our C90As seem to be limited. Our current planes are getting a little long in the tooth as reflected in our maintenance costs. We have suggested newer C90 models to our airplane owners as well as a KA 350 but a couple of owners have asked us to try to fit a jet into the equation. We’ll keep looking....
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Charter Provider
    Hi (Username Protected), we are just down the road in Montana and have experience operating some of the aircraft you are considering. We currently have a King Air 350, CJ3+, and a fleet of Phenom and Praetor aircraft. I would be happy to set up a call and connect you with some of our pilots that have extensive hot and high experience in these aircraft. (Username Protected)
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Morning (Username Protected). I would welcome any opportunity to visit with you about the 350 and the Phenom 100. Please feel free to call me at 307-761-1055 at your convenience. I am flying most of this week but will return the call as soon as I can. I appreciate your help.