1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Legacy 500 Type Rating at Flight Safety

To keep feeding my aviation bug, I am going FlightSafety next month to earn a Legacy 500 type rating. No plans to buy a plane or even fly the real deal, but figured it with be an interesting challenge to learn a more complex system and to experience flight-by-wire logic.

All my flying to-date (outside of instruction) has been Single Pilot, so it will also be an adjustment to do proper CRM.

Anyone here gone from the Phenom into the Legacy? Any tips? It looks like the memory items have 70% overlap, thanks Embraer engineers!

Will share more of my experience next month.
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    One week into the three week Legacy/Praetor training program now. Six days of ground school is pretty draining (lots of coffee!). The FSI training material is top notch and the iPad app that delivers most of the curriculum is actually pretty good - easy to to highlight text etc.

I got paired with Pedro, a Brazilian pilot half my age for my sim sessions and we have developed a great relationship. He has been trying to get typed since April (COVID travel restrictions) so knows the plane in and out. Every day after ground class we spend 1-2 hours using the Graphical Flight Simulator to practice CRM and learn the Fusion avionics, which is very different from Garmin. Not better or worse, just different.

Plane system wise there are a lot of similarities with the Phenom, but the addition of Flight By Wire technology and Auto Throttle is amazing. With FBW it feels like the autopilot is connected all the time and that the side stick is just used to command the AP. With the Auto Throttles you never touch the throttles except for take-off (they even auto-retards on landing). No reason this could not be a SP plane other than FAA requirements - it is easier to fly than the P300 and the same workload in emergencies. Even has fewer memory items!

More next week.

Name:  IMG_7638.jpg
Views: 2432
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7641.jpg
Views: 2387
Size:  118.5 KB
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Very cool!
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Congrats, (Username Protected), on your successful Legacy 500 type rating! Let’s have all the details!
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Very good synopsis of the legacy training program. I've enjoyed flying the legacy/praetor now for over 5 years. It's really beautiful. Standup cabin, spacious cockpit and most of all APU are favorite items
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Praetor/Legacy Pro Pilot
    Hello (Username Protected), I will be going to Missouri for the same type rating next week. I am a bit worried about ground school and I wanted to ask you a little bit about the written test.
    Thank you in advance
  7. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),

Ground school is at a very slow pace, and the test is "corrected" to 100% (at least in my class) so you will do fine. Instructor will likely drop a lot of hints about which questions will be on the test too.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Praetor/Legacy Pro Pilot
    Thank you so much for your answer (Username Protected). It is great to know that the instructors will help a little bit. What do you mean by ¨corrected¨ to 100%? And do they give you a question bank for the test? By any chance do you have a question bank or the questions that you got in your test? Again thank you for your time and help.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 33 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), don't stress over it. It is a non issue the test. You will get 100%. I guarantee it