1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Embraer Introduces Ground Power Mode on Phenom 300

From AIN:

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...15/embraer-int

Embraer Executive Jets has enhanced its Phenom 300E light jet with the introduction of a ground power mode (GPM). The announcement, at NBAA’s annual convention on the one-year anniversary of the launch and debut of the 300E at the 2017 NBAA-BACE, means the pilots can now operate one of the twinjet’s engines in idle to power its environmental, lighting, and entertainment systems throughout ground operations, allowing operators to maintain optimum cabin functionality for passenger onboarding, deplaning and baggage handling, independent of external power sources.

This new capability—developed with Pratt & Whitney Canada, which supplies the PW535E powerplants used on the aircraft—will be useful to operators, especially at remote airports with limitations in hours of operation, ground support equipment availability, or power infrastructure. Notably, idle engine time will not accrue as engine flight hours. GPM simulates the use of an auxiliary power unit, while avoiding the need for such a unit and its associated weight and maintenance costs. The new functionality will be made available for free for new customers of the aircraft, and via a Service Bulletin to current Phenom 300 and 300E owners.

-----

I know PC24 (Williams engines) has a similar feature. Not sure how this is different than just running one engine on the ground - maybe an even lower idle speed?
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Any update on the ground power mode?

I bought a factory new Phenom 300E and my airport in Switzerland (LSZH) allows engine start only 5 minutes prior to departure slot time, but allows APU start 30 minutes before. Thus I have a huge incentive to convince the airport authority to regard the ground power mode as APU so I can heat or cool the cabin before the passengers arrive. Unfortunately, the airport authority requests now documentation from the manufacturer to make a decision. I checked all AFM/POH/QRH/SOP, but could find any reference to the ground power mode.

I googled and found dozens of news articles from 2018 when Embraer announced this.

I googled for the Pilatus PC-24 and found an interesting article in Twin&Turbine from March 2020 saying:
    "The Ground Power Mode, or QPM, allows the operator to run one engine at a lower RPM and fuel flow with the associated noise reduction to serve as an APU. This is especially important at smaller airports or even dirt strips. Williams has calculated the average usage time of QPM in their calculations for inspections, and it does not affect the inspection intervals of 2'500 for a hot section inspection or 5'000 for an overhaul. One of our flights, with the right engine in QPM mode (only the right engine is enabled for this feature), the N2 percentage was reduced from 53.4 to 45.4, fuel flow decreased from 168PPH to 120PPH, along with a noticeable reduction in noise. In QPM mode, the generator has a lower maximum electrical load of 250 amps, more than ample for ground needs."
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Look at SOP 3-00. Nothing special other than it documents the process of running ENG2 on the ground.
    Attachments Attachments  
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    We are considering ordering a new Phenom 300 and I've asked several operators about this and it does not seem like it is used very often or at all by operators. I can see us using it at times. Are there any operators here using the ground power mode?
  5. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I use it when I need to cool the cabin and no GPU available. It works well and is pretty quiet on the air stair side. You need to leave a pilot in the cockpit though as an engine is running.