1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

G1000 NXi Video Review

Garmin used my Phenom 300 for the NXi STC. Here is a video I put together that highlights some of the new G1000 NXI features.

2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 47 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    It’s so fast - Love that.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    Wow - Your video highlights a lot more features than I was expecting based on my talks with Garmin back when the first introduced nxi for some other airplanes. Prior to seeing your video, I had dismissed the nxi upgrade and thought it was a waste. Definitely changed my perspective! Really impressed with this upgrade as it makes the G3000 investment seem far less necessary than when comparing and older P300 g3000 to same or older P300 with legacy g1000.

thanks for sharing

(Username Protected)
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Phenom Pilot
    (Username Protected),

Your video is awesome! Thank you for showing how in depth the new changes are and showing the uses in real life applications as your operating your jet! Are the apps that you were using on your ipad user friendly? Are they included with the NXI purchase? Was the new audio panel extra or was that included? Did you need to upgrade fore flight to utilize these functions (we use foreflight as well)?

Thank you,
    (Username Protected)
  5. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Are the apps that you were using on your ipad user friendly?
    I was showing both Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight in the video. I mostly use ForeFlight (find it easier to use);only use Garmin Pilot for Iridium texting and updating the databases. Garmin Pilot has a free 30 day trial on the app store.

Are they included with the NXI purchase?
    Not directly. However if you buy a Garmin OnePack Database subscription for the plane you also get a Garmin Pilot Premium upgrade (FliteCharts, SafeTaxi etc in the. You still need to buy the Standard subscription $80/yr.

Was the new audio panel extra or was that included?
    The Audio panels are extra. I think MSRP is $5,495 each.

Did you need to upgrade fore flight to utilize these functions (we use foreflight as well
    I think the standard plan works, but ForeFlight Performance Plus $300/yr has the best Flight Planning engine.
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Does the 1000Nxi allow entry of radio freqs from the numeric keys? That was a nice addition on Cirrus's when they moved to the NXI.
  7. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Does the 1000Nxi allow entry of radio freqs from the numeric keys? That was a nice addition on Cirrus's when they moved to the NXI.
    Yes, but so did the legacy G1000 on the Phenom.
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Ah, thanks, not the case on other G1000 platforms I've flown (I'm new to the Phenom 300).
    The feature-delta vs. G1000 in your video was helpful. It would be interesting to see a delta list vs the Phenom G3000 (although I know there are multiple versions with different features).
    I suspect there are a number of features in the NXI that aren't even present in the G3000 yet (like visual approaches), but would also be interested to see the G3000 capabilities still missing in the NXI (other than the obvious like touch control). Checklists? Overrun protection? etc... Would be a good table of comparison for the Wiki!
  9. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Good idea will work on it. I have limited G3000 experience in the Phenom but the Aircraft Configuration Change is pretty good at listing software improvements.

The latest G3000 release, which I think is only available so far on the new 300E, adds TOLD/Vspeeds, unstable approach warning, and US CPDLC. Obviously any G3000 can split the screens into six different panes, plus you have the two touch controllers, so you have more flexibility in showing information.

Phenom G3000 does not have Flight Stream yet .
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 33 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I think the 3000 also has RNP 0.3 approaches doesn't it?
  11. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Here is another great video on NXi by Ross Russo. He highlights some of the ADS-B In data you get on the P100 (but not P300 due to our TCAS transponders).

12. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I’m curious what ADSB in data of value is lost on the P300. You don’t get FISB weather, but I find XM weather to be far better anyway. Presumably you lose ground-air TISB traffic, but I assume you are still getting air-air ADSB traffic?
    Personally I’ve found reception of ground-based ADSB for weather and traffic poor at high altitudes anyway, so it seems like the main loss would be low altitude TISB traffic from non-ADSB targets (radar returns)?
  13. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I’m curious what ADSB in data of value is lost on the P300. You don’t get FISB weather, but I find XM weather to be far better anyway. Presumably you lose ground-air TISB traffic, but I assume you are still getting air-air ADSB traffic?
    The NXT-600 transponders on the P300 only supports ADS-B Out, so you don't get any air-to-air ADS-B in traffic but you do get the standard TCAS II traffic based on Mode C returns. At little less accurate than ADS-B In, but you do get Resolution Advisories if the conflicting traffic also has TCAS II.

As you point out you XM weather is better anyways, specially the radar feed since it is high resolution nationwide. The ADS-B in radar feed is only high resolution in your vicinity and then low-resolution elsewhere.
  14. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Ok, so it sound like the main loss is that you aren’t going to see as many targets (or as far a distance) as with ADSB in. You also won’t see aircraft type and call sign I would guess.
    That’s probably not super important from a safety perspective but I like being able to see callsigns and traffic 100+ miles out primarily because it lets you passively monitor condition reports to ATC just by looking for where the reporting traffic is.
    Guess the best answer is still just a GDL52 with Foreflight...
  15. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), in your opinion, is the audio panel worth getting?
  16. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), in your opinion, is the audio panel worth getting?
    Yes. I really like the 3D audio and the built in Bluetooth capabilities. Also streamlined volume management since each source now has it is own volume control, there is no "master volume" and longer. In the grand scheme of things it is the cost of a few fuel top-offs.
  17. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom Pilot
    I have a question for y all. I have searched the Forums and didn't see anything on my question so my appologies if I missed something. Currently upgrading to the NXi right now. I have and will use ForeFlight with Jepps on my iPad, but might as well get Jepp charts on the NXi MFD. I need to sign up for Garmin and my question is, what is the best Garmin plan to get for using Jepps around the USA, Canada and Mexico. Mexico and Canada aren't that big of a deal as I will use ForeFlight. Do I need to get a OnePak or a PilotPak with or without FliteCharts? I understand I need to buy the Jepp subscription from Jepp and merge it into the Garmin subscription.

I appreciate the help!
  18. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I've got the "Americas PilotPak 2SK" bundle that includes that coverage with Jepp Charts (ChartView). It does not include FlightCharts. It includes the avionics databases and two keys for ForeFlight and/or Garmin Pilot.
    You used to have to call Jepp and do everything on the phone, but they've greatly improved their shopping website so you MAY be able to do it all via the web now (not sure about new tail numbers, but I do all my renewals there):

https://shop.jeppesen.com/databaseproductsearch
  19. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), does NXi not calculate TOLD V speeds if you enter weight data?
  20. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), does NXi not calculate TOLD V speeds if you enter weight data?
    It does not, you still have to enter them manually. I use this cheat sheet which covers most scenarios. If you ever forget to bug, the VR speed is likely to be 103 knots... and on final just slow to the the green dot on the airspeed tape at 500 agl.

Name:  vpseeds.png
Views: 1196
Size:  95.9 KB
  21. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks! What temp/elevation did you use?
  22. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks! What temp/elevation did you use?
    I don't recall, sea level 20C I think. But IAS speeds don't vary much based on temp/elevation (distances do). Definitely run the numbers in APG/myPhenom if you are operating outside of your "normal" conditions.

Example Vr.

16,400 lbs @ 10C/Sea level = 103 kts
    16,400 lbs @ 40C/Sea level = 105 kts
    16,400 lbs @ 10C/5000 ft = 104 kts
    16,400 lbs @ 40C/5000 ft = 107 kts